Monday, September 14, 2009

Chances Are

On my last week of duty at the Calamba Medical Center, one of the medical secretaries, Ate Brenda, asked me to place a bet on her own little version of lottery, popularly known as "ripa" in the Laguna area (I think).

The lottery person goes around houses and public places to make people place their bets, which could be any number from 1 to 50, depending on how large the lottery person wants it to be. Of course, the bigger the prize, the more people can place a bet. In Ate Brenda's ripa, she has 40 slots for the betters to choose from, at 50 bucks per bet. She showed me her list and I saw the names of nurses, doctors, other medical secretaries, and some medical representatives.

here's Lizbeth placing her own bet on the number 10

The prize is a little package containing these goodies from Avon-

a bottle of lotion, lipstick, a purse concentrate of a popular scent,
a small bottle of edp, a jewelry set, and a wallet

Not bad eh? I don't know who won, though. In fact, I didn't place a bet because I won't be back in the immediate future to claim my prize just in case. =)

Friend

My college friend James is an up and coming radiologist. We call each other Friend (believe me, this didn't sound cliche when we started at that time). We shared a lot of college memories together even before Noy started to court me. We kinda lost touch in med school but still tried to catch up whenever we could. Now that he's topped the recent philippine board exam for radiologists, he spends his day studying at the UPCM Library when he's not in the clinic.

Hence, when I moved to work in PGH, we immediately set plans to have lunch together. For some reason, we kept on postponing this date, including one planned sometime two weeks ago. I was free, but could not reach his mobile. Thinking he was still busy and feeling tired somehow, I sent him a message to set the date another day again and headed home. I was walking from my building towards Pedro Gil street when I chanced upon Friend chatting with someone. In other words, our date got suddenly on. =)

He brought me to this breakfast place at Robinson's Midtown called Momo. It definitely looked chic from the outside. I liked the interiors too. It's modern and fresh and designed to perk its diners up.


However, the food was a little bit on the downside for me. I got their bestseller, their version of Eggs Benedict, which had two braised eggs and a huge serving of fries on the side. The bread was almost reminiscent of the oblong monay from the local panaderya, while the ham definitely tasted something out of my fridge on a lonely, make-yourself-a-sad-ham-sandwich-dinner night.



James had their version of a combined -silog; he chose tocino and tapa. I tasted both, and I visualized their pantry brimming with frozen cured meat from whatever brand is available. Did I mention the drinks were lousy too? My strawberry lemonade was weak lemon water with a dollop of strawberry jam sitting like dirt on the bottom. James' iced tea slush was half froth and half tea.



It was a good thing that we had a lot to talk about, enough for us to forget about the early dinner which seemed like a waste of money. Somehow, I had fun. I missed James, and the time we spent catching up was worth it.


Julie

Two Sundays ago, I bid goodbye to the staff of St John the Baptist Hospital where I worked for two years before I moved to Calamba Medical Center. At around 10 pm, Noy and I drove by with pizza and coke. Another car parked beside us at about the same time. I was so thrilled to find Dra Julie Ferraz getting out of it!


Dra Julie is a practicing Internist in that hospital. She has taught me a lot and have been the nicest consultant to work with. She liked to teach, and she liked to tell stories about her kids and life too. I really like her. When she made an effort to stop by the hospital to see me when I had chest pains, I was so touched because she didn't even have patients to do rounds at that time. She's always made it a point that my blood sugar is put on check. She was almost like an Ate to me. I'm so making her ninang when I get pregnant. =)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails