Thursday, November 26, 2009

Two Years Ago Today

Noy took me out on a date in Sydney.
Three months into that month-long honeymoon cum job-hunting trip and quite fruitless - babyless, jobless - we decided it was time for a breather.

The hour-long train ride was fun, but looking for the Sydney Aquarium wasn't. Noy apparently had the wrong information on which station the aquarium was nearest, so we ended up practically circling the area and going back where we started. Our feet already hurt from walking, and that doesn't usually happen because we're such walk people. We spotted a bar on the same building as the Philippine Airlines office and Noy bought a large cup of strawberry milkshake that was unmistakably full of strawberry goodness. Too bad we didn't take pictures. I guess we were THAT tired.

We finally found the aquarium after getting the right direction from strangers who actually knew where it was. In between we got lost some more, but decided not to get upset and just enjoy the sights.

I think this church is just pretty.

St Patrick's Church had a little unsuspecting cafe in a corner of its yard. I wanted to come inside to take pictures, but I was afraid of running out of cash since we didn't know how much the entrance to the aquarium would cost.

In fact, we brought baon - peanut butter sandwiches, which we ate somewhere near Circular Quay.

This I found out - the birds that shouted "mine! mine!" in Nemo were really makulit! They practically stared at us while we were munching, waiting for little bits to be thrown at them. They looked seriously real in this photo, giving me the creeps.

I got so scared I thought I'd actually hear them say "mine! mine!".

In our desperation we just traced the coastline to Darling Harbour, where Noy was sure the aquarium was located, having been there before, and we stumbled upon these -

a really cute car I wanted to take home, and



a super big luxury liner where a cousin's husband worked (we met with him later that day to go to the opera house together; too bad we weren't allowed to come aboard so we'd know how being inside a luxury liner feels like).

When finally we were at the entrance to the aquarium, we could not help but smile...

(Can't help but notice my hair actually being thicker during my entire stay in Australia.
I love it, I was able to grow it a little longer than usual, plus I never had dandruff.
Nope, not a single flake. One more good reason to strive to finally live there!
Noy's though, got a little unruly since he didn't get a haircut - it was too expensive.)


... and pose with the little red train we didn't know the destination of.

At the time when the Manila Ocean Park was still under construction, it was kind of overwhelming to be in a place such as the Sydney Aquarium. Everything was pleasing to the eye.

However, seeing the Opera House and Harbour Bridge in person was an even more amazing experience. It's great to finally get a grasp of something I only saw on TV and in pictures before.



The Australian Idol finals was held there the night before, and the place was quite a mess, but it was beautiful nonetheless.


For some magical reason, someone (Noy doesn't even remember who) gave us a gift card entitling us to 50 AUD worth of stuff from Starbucks. It was such a yay! moment, which we needed more than ever. So eat and drink we did.

Fraps, muffin and sausage roll on a balmy Sydney evening


It was a happy day, albeit a tiring one. But if tiring would be the key to finally live in that city, I'd definitely tire myself until I drop. Until a kangaroo tells me I can't, I won't stop.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails