Tuesday, April 06, 2010

My IELTS Experience

It's no secret from close friends, workmates and relatives that Noy and I are dreaming of migrating to Australia. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would understand, especially our fellow doctors who are very aware of the economic crunch and have finally shed the final strands of idealistic beliefs from their system.

The reason why I haven't updated for more than three weeks is the fact that I took the language test which is required upon application for a permanent resident visa. About three months ago, our agent (yes, we hired one! seriously.) told me that it was hard to squeeze in applications that do not hold much promise. Hence, I need a really good proof of my proficiency of the English language in order to boost my chances.

The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam does not cost cheap. I waited for the elusive thirteenth month pay before I was able to pay for it. I realized I have to get a really good score so as not to retake it.

I started browsing IELTS reviewers in December last year. In February I started practicing under exam conditions as per strong recommendations on the reviewers themselves. Boy, was I surprised. It wasn't easy. In fact, I had the initial urge to just ditch the entire thing up. I had the notion that the worst enemy I'd be facing in the exam would be time. And I was so correct.

It wasn't too difficult to listen at foreign accents because no accent would be too strange at this day and age of the world wide web and cable tv. The operational word is comprehension. Sure, some questions required only direct answers from the audio clip, but when they start to paraphrase what you hear and you see different words on the text, that's when the true test really starts. The audio clip is played only once, so if you panic at one question and linger on it, you won't be able to answer all questions that follow at all. It can be really tricky. They do encourage watching BBC and similar programs because it will help greatly.

I found the reading part quite tricky at first, but with practice, it gets easier and easier. A lot of review materials always tell the examinee not to read each of the three passages in its enterity, but I wouldn't recommend it. Slow skimming (yes, there is such a thing... for me at least) worked best for me. It allowed me to understand each passage quite well, but I still had time to re-read it just in case I had to. Again, time goes by so fast at this part of the test, so proper allocation to each passage is essential. I hated the true/false/not given questions, they weren't enlightening at all. Eventually though I learned how to approach that question type effectively. The key is to take each statement as it is, and NEVER overthink it.

I initially had no fear of the writing part since, duh, Im a blogger. But NO, NO, NO! I was so wrong. The blogging just would not benefit here. IELTS writing seeks a specific pattern and style, even specific words. My biggest problem was that the topics were too general. I hated practicing for the writing part because some of the topics were so not interesting for me. But I had to practice so that's what I did. I'd puke at a sight of a graph - line, bar, pie, etc. but I tried to explain each one as objectively as I could until it became second nature to me.

The speaking part was the most unpredictable of all parts, and I figured no amount of practice would truly prepare me for it. I realized I just had to be myself. My only prayer was for the examiner to be NOT Filipino and NOT gay. I heard of a poor colleague's experience of having a gay Filipino examiner, who obviously was jealous of this colleague's pleasant looks, English proficiency skills and confidence. He gave her a 4.5. I'm not that pretty, but my spoken English is quite competent and I can be maarte when I speak, so that became my greatest fear - crab mentality.

My speaking test was scheduled the day before the written test. I came in early because I wanted to take hold of the review materials at the British Council office. They let you study there free of charge as long as you've paid for the exam fee.
I was called in soon after I had lunch by myself at a nearby Jollibee. I was sitting at a couch, along with other examinees whose schedules are just right on time (as opposed to me being early), decided not to be nervous.
A candidate walks out of a cubicle. A few seconds later, the examiner, short, dark, with styled-up hair, a pert smile, and very Filipino name, obviously male, walks out calling to the assistant. I was figuring out what his social gender was when I vaguely heard my name. Suddenly the examiner and the assistant were both staring at me. "Miss Eleazar, would you like to be interviewed now?" was the next thing I heard while I was still negotiating with the denial state in my head. Denying the fact that a potentially gay Filipino male is about to interview me. Now.
Then, a plush office chair. A mildly resounding voice with a proper British accent. My high-pitched voice I kept so madly in control was surprisingly confident. A warm handshake shakes me off my denial and settles me into reality. Speaking test. Now.
He asked what my job was, so I answered truthfully. I told him him I'm a research doctor, and after a very little pause I told him what I was working with.

Here are little bits and pieces of my speaking test -

Part 1
Examiner: Let's talk about cooking. Who does the cooking at home?
Me: My husband and I both do. It's kind of a 50/50 thing. We sometimes compete with each other at cooking just for fun. (smiles)
Examiner: I see. So let's talk about sounds (sound pronounced long on the ou part). What kind of natural sounds do you like?Me: Oh (aka what the heck is that question?). The rustling of leaves on a windy day... the purring of a cat... I guess just those two.

Part 2
There was a card that asked me to describe a modern building that I find interesting, particularly: how I came to know about it, what's it built for/what's in it, what I liked most about the building and why I find it interesting. I answered the RCBC Tower in Makati, that it was right across Makati Med at the time when I was an intern there (5 years ago), some joke about its breezy architecture (which thankfully I was able to execute descriptively), and the fact that it had a posh food court where I used to have lunch with my co-interns when we were given our monthly stipend.
I learned that whatever the question at this part is, stick with the first thing that comes to your mind. I could have used other more modern buildings but RCBC was the first thing that came to me. ONE MINUTE is a very short time to prepare for a short speech. Speaking of preparing, do write down notes on the paper the examiner will give you. I found it extremely important as a guide to answering all the questions on the card.

Part 3The examiner thought it best to discuss with me, a doctor, urban infrastructure and the effects population explosion has upon it, urban rehabilitation and what I'd do about it if I were given the power to manipulate it in this country. I honestly can't remember what crap I was able to give as answers and how, but I guess he was pretty impressed.
The point is, they won't ask you about things they think you're already familiar with. They expect you to panic a little and be distracted with the impending difficulty. The key is of course not to panic. While they don't expect you to be encyclopedia-like, it's nice to have quite a range of general knowledge. But really, it's your English speaking ability they want to know about. Rattling you with difficult-sounding questions gives them an idea of how good you are at speaking English despite the situation.

With ample practice and lots of prayers, I ended up with this -

I'm extremely happy, because I honestly thought I screwed up at writing. Thank God I got an 8 despite the numerous erasures.
Plus, I'm kissing and hugging my speaking test examiner for being gracious if I ever see him again. I hate myself for not taking note of his VERY unusual name, which sounded old Filipino and had III (the third) as suffix. Geez. I probably deserve the 8.5, but I feel a little guilty for judging him prematurely. Oh well.

So that's IELTS for me. It's something to be proud of, but it really is only the beginning of a tedious journey towards Australian PR-ship. If Noy and I make it through, I promise to share whatever I learn here. =)





I love the LORD, he is filled with compassion. He turned to me on the day that I called. From the snares of the dark, O Lord save my life, give me strength.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails