Monday, July 19, 2010

The Manila Scramble

Remember the pink icy goo smothered with milk powder and chocolate syrup (in Hershey's squeezable bottles, mind you, but I doubt if it's the real thing) sold in front of our schools as elementary pupils? Well, I've always wanted to taste some but never did. My papa said everything sold outside the school isn't clean and will cause us disease if we eat them. So I've been a very obedient child, not buying a cup of that girlish-looking concoction despite all my friends gobbling them up.Until yesterday night. Noy and I were looking for a gadget in Robinson's Pioneer when we noticed a long line forming outside the supermarket.

Then we saw this.


Noy jumped at the realization that it was his favorite treat in grade school, back when the rewards for having good grades were sweets and junk food. So I lined up for him while he scoured the grocery for supplies.


The Manila Scramble, a new and better version of the old skrambol so identified with our generation, is in the malls wowing up the adult crowd (those in line really are adults more than youngsters). The pink strawberry-flavored comfort food (make that a drink as well) is sold by the takal from a large clean Rubbermaid cooler, into medium (Php 10) and large (Php 17) paper containers. Small (Php 7) portions are sold in plastic cups. I of course got the small ones only since Im thinking it's one of those, despite being clean, dangerous stuff to eat when you're diabetic.


The exciting thing about this is that they've added the option of placing toppings with your scramble. I had fruit loops and rice krispies; Noy had corn flakes and marshmallows. There were a couple of other toppings whose names I don't really know. Toppings sell for Php 4 per. They add the milk for free if you're putting toppings. If you want it plain, they'll drizzle chocolate syrup onto your scramble and you're good to go; just add another Php 4 if you want milk on it, too.

So what can I say? I'd say I'm full of regrets not having skrambol as a child. I mean, Noy turned out to be a very healthy guy despite all the skrambol he had. The Manila Scramble's skrambol is so light and luscious at the same time. It's got this delightful hint of strawberry that will not overpower the chocolate syrup and whatever toppings mixed in.

This photo was taken from The Manila Scramble Facebook page.
Yes, we were THAT excited we forgot to take pictures of our own scramble.



I looked at my husband while he slowly sipped his scramble and even closed his eyes for a while, probably reminiscing his joyous grade school days, and realized the power of a pink slush in a cup. Then he gave me this disappointed look for buying just a small cup (store was closed when he finished checking in stuff from the grocery).

I'll buy a large cup tomorrow. No, two.
Related Posts with Thumbnails