Thursday, February 24, 2011

Believe.

It's no secret to family and friends that my brother Neil was having a hard time passing the Bar Exams. He flunked three times and now has to take a refresher course in order to sit the exam again. That would mean another thousands of expenses for my retired parents and me. He's a casual employee at the Public Attorney's Office in Kalibo, and earning a meager salary which couldn't even suffice for his medications - he's a diabetic on insulin - without benefits.

For years he - we - have been waiting for this appointment to finally become a permanent employee with full benefits. We were praying and hoping and waiting fervently for this one big break. I prayed everyday. I prayed hard when sadness took over greatly; I prayed harder when I was on the verge of asking WHY.

One night, I just stopped praying. I got tired of praying.

Then, he broke his right pinky a month ago. It was a bad fracture. I had to buy him tickets so he could be treated here. Why not in Kalibo? Because I felt he was already prey to some doctor who seems not to be earning enough there. But that's another story.

The surgery was successful, thanks to my good med school classmate and now an orthopedic surgeon Reg, my good friend and mentor - diabetologist Julie, and Reg's friend Kenneth who agreed to do the anesthesia for free.

Nevertheless, there was the hospital bill to pay. It wasn't a comfortable sight withdrawing that amount for a sudden circumstance. I kept telling myself it was just money and I'll earn it back in no time. I was reciting this mantra on my head as I was going down the stairs to the cashier when Papa called to inform us of the good news - the appointment came. My brother takes his oath on March 7th.

Ate Ging, my cousin who stayed with my parents since before we were born, waited with me at the hospital during the surgery. We were just talking about our dream of my brother finally becoming successful. Now this news at the most opportune time. It was overwhelming we had to cry. People must have thought we lost someone at the OR because we were just crying.

I still can't believe it. I almost gave up. I was just about to give up.

I'm so glad God didn't give up on me.



You don't have to give up either. God hears. God listens. Just believe.


2 comments:

vcm said...

I've just came across this today. Amen to that, Anne! Congratulations to Ming and to your family!

anne said...

thank you vanie! xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails