Saturday, April 09, 2011

The Groupon Bug Hit Me

I am a sucker for discounts and I definitely shop more when the items I've been drooling over are finally on sale. So when the groupon announcements came flooding my email, I could not help but buy the really tempting ones that offer huge discounts on pampering services.

First, there was the "90-minute tri-hilot combi therapy full of indulgence worth Php1150" on sale at Php350. Outside, the spa place looked stylish and relaxing, what with the uber-prime location just outside Greenbelt 5. Inside, the entire place is no bigger than the average apartment. The reception area is also the place where the guests' feet are soaked in salted water prior to the massage. Naturally, those waiting for their turn or merely inquiring would look at you and your soaking feet.

The "deal" promised 3 kinds of massages - ventosa, dagay-dagay, and traditional hilot. I have a friend who once told me that ventosa therapy makes her feel good always because the glass-enclosed heat of the candles sucks all her bad energies away. True, but when done properly. My therapist was a clumsy one who dared ask me if I walked on the way there because I was perspiring.

Dagay-dagay uses a certain wooden stick to tease the soles of the feet to take away the tiredness. Whatever. It didn't really make a difference. I cannot even recall if the traditional hilot was good in itself. Why? Because the computer keyboard in the office beside my cubicle was being heavily used, the guest across me was snoring like there was no tomorrow and Noy's therapist kept on sniffling.

I cannot believe the entire crap costs more than a thousand bucks. They should definitely learn from Lotus Spa, which makes up for its lack of shower facilities by great service and truly relaxing ambience.

Not to be disheartened, I purchased another coupon from another groupon company. This time, it was "50% off on Prima Donna foot spa pedicure (hot stone, foot and leg massage and foot scrub)". The actual value was Php 680, and considering this was coming from a new and pretty-looking nail care place, I gave it a go and treated myself and Noy.

I was impressed by the interiors - plush furniture, comfortable pillows, colorful quirky walls ergonomically designed stations. I jut think the lighting could go a little more dimmer for a truly relaxing atmosphere. There already are lamps that should suffice for the therapists' use.

I have to give it to them for the technical qualities of the foot scrub and massage; they felt really clean and relaxing. After the scrub, my legs and feet were wrapped with plastic with the mint lotion on "for better infusion". They were rinsed, followed by the pedicure. More lotion was applied then they were wrapped again, this time with hot pink, warm electric booties. They were so cute; too bad I was too lazy to have pictures taken. The massage followed. After a brief rest, a hot stone bag was kneaded on my legs & feet.

My problem was that my therapist wasn't really happy to serve me. Her hands were heavy, literally and figuratively. At times it almost felt like she was nagdadabog. My toenails are heavily rounded and difficult to clean, and I think it almost tested her patience. Either I'm too tired to complain or I just didn't care, but I felt sorry for her because she's not happy with the job that she's been given.

I think the foot spa service wasn't a bad deal at all. But just in case Noy asks that we come back, I'll make sure that it's the middle of the day when the therapists won't be very tired and have had lunch, when they won't be clamoring to head home and catch up with their favorite telenovelas.




Here's to better deals,





Photo credit:
http://everythinginbudget.blogspot.com/2011/02/nail-spa-lounge-50-off-prima-donna-spa.html






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails