Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fely J's

On a much lighter note, I'm delighted the TB round table discussion was held at Fely J's. Noy and I have been wanting to eat there as friends kept on suggesting that we try it. Checking out their menu though we were a bit turned off. Their prices being on the high end was one thing, not getting value for your money is another. Noy is especially wary of small servings, and I definitely do not want him disappointed over expensive food that doesn't deliver.

We were at the function room on the far right of the entrance, and it was studded with old photos, particularly of women. My attention was caught by a large photo of Binondo Church on the back wall for a long time. It was quite enchanting. The ambiance of the entire restaurant actually is, except perhaps when it's full.

I was hungry though, so I gulped my Coke light immediately and devoured the Fried Calamares in front of me. The other doctors followed suit. Someone had to start so I did. It was awkward sharing food on the same table with strangers.

Noy, hungry as well, could not eat squid because he's allergic to most seafood. Two more appetizers came in, namely Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls with large slices of shrimp, and Crispy Swahe. The rep noticed that Dr Labanda, who will introduce the speaker, wasn't eating, so she asked that the main course be served already. So in came Pancit Canton Guisado, which had large shrimps again, then Ginataang Gulay at Hipon (shrimps and vegetables sauteed with ginger and spices, finished with coconut cream). At this point I cannot enjoy my food despite the fact that the food indeed was very good.

Finally, Noy asked for a cup of rice. Then, a humongous plate of Crispy Patang Bawang was placed before him. It was funny how everyone was smiling at him and allowing him to get his fill. We've been eating for about 10 minutes while he only had sips of Sprite. The Chicken "Mabuting" Inasal was placed near him, too. The other dishes that were served were Bangus Belly Sinigang and Beef Mechado.

Desserts were served after the lecture - Sikreto ni Maria Clara and Cassava Bibingka with Buko. The former, a delightful pairing of suman sa ibus and mangoes in vanilla ice cream (i tasted a hint of coconut cream in there), is very very good. Too bad it was totally (!) consumed - no, devoured - by my fellow doctors before I even thought of taking a picture.

As a careful consumer, I'd say the dishes were okay. Portions are good and filling, but the flavor isn't something to really go crazy about - I've had better versions of each dish, flavor-wise. But the overall quality will definitely be worth the price. If they were really aiming for food that feels indulgently homemade, then they've hit the spot just right. The place is perfect for balikbayans and the like.

Will I be back? Yes, if the budget permits a little splurging. Also, I'd like to try Fely J's Dilis-cious Rice, Temple Crab and Tilapia with Sweet Plum Sauce which are notably their bestsellers. More importantly, I'd like to have a plate of Sikreto ni Maria Clara, all to myself and in peace.

Have a happy middle of the week!

photos from LJC Restaurant Group Facebook page



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails