Monday, August 09, 2010

I Should Have Known

One of the most unpleasant experiences I had was having to go to St Luke's Extension Clinic at the time when an opportunity to go to Australia on a business trip last year was pressing. I was not given a visa, and I was immensely disappointed. Most of all, I hated the pulmonologist who saw me so much I'd kill to know her name and her whereabouts.

To quote the follow-up blog to that,

"Finally I was face to face, rather face to face mask, with the pulmonologist. I was able to tell her that I am a doctor and that the same thing happened (chest PA suspicious, lordotic clear) when I was applying for internship at Makati Med, so I was not alarmed when the xray film in question turned out suspicious as well. I stated that I had been in contact with the consul and that all I needed was a clearance from her, that Im willing to do the smear & the culture & all films she wants taken as soon as I come back. I honestly told her that as a doctor I know when I would be needing help and that of course by all means I would want to be treated and cured if I have to. I mean, who doesn't?

Then she blurted away with all the technical boo hoos (she needs old films, i can't say for sure without culture, yada yada yada..) none of which I don't already know, as if she didn't hear anything I said for the past 5 minutes. She asked me what my specialization was, ausculated me and said matter of factly that if I could present previous films, I may do so. And that was it.

I stood outside to wait for the nurse's instructions, dumped yet again. I came in there to talk to a fellow doctor who I hoped would understand the situation, expecting some form of empathy, and maybe a bit of advice, or a peek into how the system works in that place. Yes, I was asking her a favor, but for the love of God it was a well-placed notion. I had no bad intentions. If I were truly sick I would not even express my intention to join. All I wanted was to attend the meeting so I can meet potential connections and hopefully employers. Apparently she chose not to hear it and she would not care.

I got out, feeling worse that I ever had in months, trying to convince myself that it wasn't about consultants looking down on GPs like GPs had no place in the medical world, blaming myself for even considering, wondering why I have been such an understading empathic doctor to my patients while some doctors are not. Not even to their fellow doctors."

Feisty, eh? I really felt bad. I thought it was something personal. It may be. Whatever. Until Noy and I got invited last Friday to a round table discussion on the new standards of TB management. The American Thoracic Society released the New International Standards for TB Care in 2006, which says that:

Standard 2. All patients (adults, adolescents, and children who are capable of producing
sputum) suspected of having pulmonary tuberculosis should have at
least two, and preferably three, sputum specimens obtained for microscopic
examination. When possible, at least one early morning specimen
should be obtained.
Standard 3. For all patients (adults, adolescents, and children) suspected of having
extrapulmonary tuberculosis, appropriate specimens from the suspected
sites of involvement should be obtained for microscopy and, where
facilities and resources are available, for culture and histopathological
examination.
Standard 4. All persons with chest radiographic findings suggestive of tuberculosis
should have sputum specimens submitted for microbiological examination.

I should have known. This came out even before I had the doomed chest xray done. I thought about all the wasted energy hating and bitching about the pulmonologist who was only adhering to the standards and doing her job.

It's a shame I even entertained the issue of being "just" a GP when the sponsor company invited ONLY GPs to this event. This is a clear revelation that even though General Practitioners are not a very popular choice in the urban health scene, they do thrive and they are being given consideration and importance by the pharmaceutical industry.

I may still have regrets over not making it to Perth, but there's really nothing I can do about it except face the fact that if I really wanted to have that visa, I will have to face the ordeal of clearing myself of the TB scare. I just wish they'd be more friendly at St Luke's though.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails