Saturday, August 21, 2010

New World May Be Needing a Renaissance

Just got back from New World Hotel in Makati, where we spent the night in order to attend an event Noy considered pretty important.

One word: disappointed.

I've revered the place for several years now, what with the ultra prime location and huge glass fountains on the facade. It's Makati after all. And it's THE hotel right across Greenbelt.

So imagine our surprise when, at the event, they served coffee, but they didn't leave a condiment tray on the table. We had to put cream and sugar right after the waiter shoved the coffee in front of us, then waited an eternity before he got back to us after calling him when we've realized the coffee was a little too robust.

It's no disappointment we were checked in at a two single-bed room since we came late, it was understandable. But for them to deprive one of us a buffet breakfast coupon because the room was registered to only one name, we were outraged. Since when did a room have to be registered under two names in order to get two breakfast coupons? It's a shame we had to accept the fact that not all rooms come with breakfast for two people HERE. In this chic hotel where the facade is as fancy as the people known to frequent the Cinnabar.

Okay, it's not like I know hotels; I don't. But I do sense when something is outdated or lacks the capacity to be called a standard or to be satisfying. In our room, everything was pretty basic - beds, furniture, toilet. Adequate, but not elegant. I never felt I was sleeping in a famous building.

I may be disappointed but I do not forego with the compliments where I feel it is deserved.

New World veered away from providing guests with the generic toiletries. Instead they got Lather all natural soap, shampoo and moisturizer to liven up the otherwise drab bathroom. I loved the smell of mint and thyme the shampoo left in my very stressed-out hair.

The M2M (yes, after much talk Noy and I were both given breakfast coupons - I still could not believe I was bitching on the phone over some breakfast coupon! jeez!) is New World's all day diner. It's modern and contemporary, svelte and stylish. The buffet breakfast is laid out in a cool funky theme not just in tables but in open cupboards with elegant lighting and concept. I was still seething with anger by the time we came down so I wasn't able to take good photos but this one -

Their attendants are dressed in a practical modern garb with eye candy shades of aqua and orchid. By the way, New World staff aren't that bad. They're courteous and warm and helpful. I just wish they'd update their rooms and their reception system to complement their good-natured employees.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails