Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's Never Too Late

One of the girls at the clinic is wearing her engagement ring for the first time today - after three years of marriage. Sounds funny, right?
You see, theirs was sort of a hurried wedding. They both wanted to get married already but he could not propose because he wasn't financially ready. Meanwhile the girl was on the verge of frustration, already wanting a child of her own. They did get married, ceremony and all, just to get it over with. There was no proposal.
Three years and a baby boy later, the husbands gingerly finds a ring that will suit the marriage bands a prinicipal sponsor gave them as gifts. I think it's just sweet. It's a thoughtful way of showing he's determined to make things "formal"and that he really meant to marry her after all.

Which reminds of this lovely movie I saw on DVD a few weeks back -




Harvey (Dustin Hoffman) meets Kate (Emma Thompson) at the time when everything seemed to fall apart for Harvey and when everything seemed to be too stagnant for Emma. In their 60's and feeling the end of it all, they start a friendship that's controversial at the start but poignant and endearing as days went by. They eventually change each other's lives for the better without them knowing it.
I especially love the part when Harvey bravely takes the microphone away from her daughter's stepfather when it was time for the father of the bride speech at her wedding. It was a triumphant moment for Harvey after the many failures he's been through.

It's never too late to start anew and strive to change for the better.

Noy proposed to me at a time that I thought was a little too early. My engagement ring was quite unique in that it had little "waves" coming out of the spot in which the diamond was set. I loved it and flaunted it quite a lot. When it was time to look for wedding rings though, we could not find a design which would fit the engagement ring. We could not go for something custom-made because a) we didn't have much time preparing for the wedding and b) we didn't have the budget for something custom-made.


So my mother-in-law, who had a jewelry business herself, had my engagement ring re-shaped so I could wear it with my wedding band. I said goodbye to the wavy ring with eyes tightly shut. I miss it still, but I know that something had to be done for the better.

I will probably have it reshaped yet again, under no one's preferences but mine, once I have the money for it. I can wait. After all, it's never too late.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails